PTSA stands for Parent-Teacher-Student Association – We work together to get good things done at the City Family of Schools! That’s City High Middle School and the 6th grade theme schools, Center for Economicology, Blandford School, and Zoo School.
JANUARY PTSA MEETING – NOTE THE DATE CHANGE
Mark your calendars for Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2019 at 7:00 PM (previously scheduled for January 16), in the City High Media Center for the next PTSA meeting.* Students, parents, and teachers are invited to hear how fundraising is going, how money will be spent, and offer input!
Mark your calendars for the annual CHILI COOKOFF Thursday, January 24, 6:00 – 8:00 pm at nearby Creston Brewery. Live music, fun spot, chili-tasting, drinks, and some friendly competition with your pot of chili! Tickets are $10 per individual or $25 per family, available at the door or online (soon). One free admission if you’re bringing chili! Enter your chili here: https://cityptsa.wpengine.com/2019-chili-cookoff-entry-form/ This event benefits The Principal’s Fund, used for celebrating student achievements.
CITY LIGHTS AUCTION New venue!
Join us at Aisle Nine (Lucy’s banquet area, across the street from City) on Friday, March 22, 6:00 pm – 9:00 pm. We’re gathering lots of cool items for you to bid on while enjoying music, food, drinks, and friends. This event is an annual PTSA fundraiser. More information and links to come.
FOR SENIOR FAMILIES (12th grade) Class of 2019 All-Night Graduation Party planning has already begun. $125 per student; checks made out to City PTSA (student name and Senior Grad in memo); fundraisers happening throughout the year – find info here as available; aiming for 100% participation of students, regardless of ability to pay. Payment can be dropped off with Ms. Albin in the Main Office; place in an envelope with the student name written on the front. Or pay online, https://cityptsa.wpengine.com/product/senior-grad-fee/ Don’t forget to join our Facebook group to stay in the loop, *City High Parents Class of 2019.”
CLASS OF 2019 PARTY PLANNING Party planning meeting to be held Sunday, January 27, 2019, at 2:30 pm at Harmony Brewing, 1551 Lake Dr SE, Grand Rapids, 49506. Senior Families please join us!
PALs ACTION BOARD: WAYS PARENTS CAN HELP TEACHERS
Our PALs have an ACTION BOARD for City Staff where they can send in some needs & requests and then we will ask our City parents/community if they can help with these requests. Some requests might be fulfilled through the PTSA, but your PALS might be posting some more broader needs through the Facebook Village page and the weekly announcements (here). Please consider helping out if you have a specific ability or interest that matches one of these needs.
• Mr Droski is looking for a sit-up bench for PE classes to use. [email protected]
• Mrs Anderson is looking for monetary donations to cover the cost of a field trip to the Cheese Lady for her French 3 class. [email protected]
• Mrs Hillman is looking for donations of crayons, scissors, markers, rulers and glue sticks. [email protected]
• We do have one request for Extended Essay Mentors. Mrs. Vandervliet is looking for parent or community members with academic writing experience, and this is for various subjects (English, science, music, social studies). If you would like to help or know of someone that would like to help please contact Mrs. Vandervliet at [email protected]
• Mrs Whittle (art teacher) is looking for a large moveable exhibition display for showing student work during the year and for the Senior exhibition. If you have any contacts or have this item, please contact PAL or contact the teachers directly
• The yearbook team is looking for someone who has a drone and knows how to operate it to take a couple of high definition pictures of City High Middle School during the day and at dawn. If you are able to help please email Mr VanTil at [email protected] or call him at 616-819-6651.
Another Action Board request is for CFE (6th grade). Center For Economicology is looking for:
• parent volunteers for field trips
• people that would help building a student library (we already have a book drop off next to the Uniform closet) extra rain and snow gear. Please contact Gaelle, mailto:[email protected], or the teachers directly for questions or if you would like to help bring items / donations in to the teachers. Thank you!
GET IN THE LOOP – MANY WAYS TO CONNECT Take a look at the PTSA website, cityptsa.com, to learn about events and volunteer! You don’t need a volunteer badge to volunteer for most of our PTSA activities. Facebook pages and groups:
• GR City High Middle School (public) • City PTSA (public) • City High Middle Village (ask to join, answer 2 questions, quick approval) • City High Middle School Band (ask to join, answer questions, quick approval) • City High’s CINDERELLA (musical theater, ask to join, quick approval) • City High Parents Class of 2019 – Senior Grad parents
PALS say WELCOME, CITY FAMILIES If you are looking for more ways to get involved at City you can always contact our Parent Action Leaders (PALs), Gaelle Thibault, [email protected] (SPANISH speaker) and Lori Box, [email protected] They are friendly and helpful City parents who work with GRPS Parent Engagement and can answer lots of questions! Gaelle translates our PTSA messages like these to Spanish – contact her if you’d like to help translate these messages and other printed materials – this is a volunteer opportunity that can be done from home.
DISTRICT WIDE MONTHLY SCHOOL SAFETY TRAINING
The GRPS Department of Public Security will be having monthly session that will be open to Parents and the Community. They will be held at the GRPS University (1400 Fuller Ave NE, Grand Rapids MI 49506) from 6:00PM to 7:00PM
• 02/12 School Violence
• 03/12 Recent Issues and Current Events in School Safety
UNIFORM CLOSET Sweatshirts and long sleeve t-shirts are plentiful and FREE in our Uniform Closet (next to main office). No need to ask permission. Just take what you need – that’s what it’s there for! Look for coats to be added, too. We are taking donations of gently-used winter coats – please drop off at the Uniform Closet – thanks!
DONATE BOOKS OR MONEY TO 6th GRADE CENTER FOR ECONOMICOLOGY We are collecting book donations for students of CFE that can be dropped off in the City main hallway across from Counseling Office. If you would like to donate money for Ms. Philips, CFE teacher, to spend on those books, please send in a check to the City office made out to “City PTSA” with “CFE Books” on the memo line. Thanks!
BOXTOPS FOR EDUCATION
Have you been clipping those BoxTop labels off the products you buy regularly? Send them in to the main office with your student and raise money for the school – just mark For City PTSA.
SHOP ONLINE? START AT SMILE.AMAZON.COM Another easy way to raise money for City is to start your online shopping at smile.amazon.com. When you start there, Amazon donates a portion of qualifying purchases to the nonprofit of your choice. Choose City High Middle PTSA from the drop-down menu underneath the search bar. Thanks!
FREE CLASSES for PARENTS at https://parents.grps.org/courses/
“WE ARE GR” NEWS AVAILABLE ONLINE AT ANY TIME
Visit http://www.wearegr.com/news/ to check out the latest happenings at Grand Rapids Public Schools and the city of Grand Rapids!